Holistic Ear Training
for Busy People
LEARNING MUSIC BY EAR CAN BE A JOY
Holistic Ear Training Principles:
- The music you listen to and have loved your whole life is the key to developing a great musical ear.
- Preparing the unconscious by listening emotionally wires us to effortlessly recognize musical patterns.
- Musical elements learned in context, connected to real music, shine with relevance.
- Practicing ear training in real-time musical situations increases our motivation and supports our love of music making.
Holistic Ear Training in a Nutshell:
- Listen to and sing a model piece of music that prominently contains an element that you are focusing on. For example, we begin with nailing down the pattern do-re-mi, which you find in more music than you might think.
- Learn how the new element (aka do-re-mi) is featured in the model.
- Practice recognizing the new element in other musical contexts in real time.
- Seek that element in music that you love.
- Practice extracting that and other elements from music you love.